Tuesday, July 1

Tie Dyed House Number Banners

I'm not the only one I know who is mad about tie dye. And when I was thinking of a neat-o house warming gift I thought of an address banner. And when I realized this person was just as crazy about the multi-color fabulosity that is tie dye, I knew just what I had to do!

For this project you will need:
Tulip Soft Fabric Paint
Freezer Paper
Hot iron
Silhouette Cutting Machine (get the cut file here) OR X-acto knife
Cotton Banner (got mine here)

So I've been hanging onto this Tulip One-Step Mini Tie-Dye Kit for a while. When I tie dye up some stuff I TIE DYE UP SOME STUFF. There's no couple of tees or anything like that. I tie dye more than can fit on my 4 lines of drying line out in the backyard. But when I wanted to make this little gift, all of the sudden the mini kit seemed perfect! 

Lay out something to protect your work surface. I cut a part of a plastic tarp off and called it good.
The banner is pretty small... you can go ahead and knock out a pattern or freehand it. I was hoping to get an almost marbled look and wanted absolutely no white that could compete with the letters I'd be stenciling on.

Finish up however you please.

Wrap up in your tarp and allow to sit for 6 hours. Rinse until the water runs clear and allow to dry.

As it dries, the banner will naturally wrinkle up a bit. Use a hot iron to get that baby in tip top shape and smoothed out.

Cut your address pattern out of freezer paper and get ready to get it onto the banner.

Make sure you have the correct side down and get that sucker ironed on. Just hit the freezer paper with the tip of the iron to get it barely stuck and make sure your placement is good. I actually pulled mine up a few times instead of doing this and got really blurry lines - but no worries I was able to make it work.

I wound up ironing down the wrong parts the first time (doh!) and the second time was flustered and accidentally ironed a piece or two onto the iron. It was great. Not really.

Once you get your stencil in place daub fabric paint on and over using a foam spouncer or brush. It might take several coats.
Now, you may do a better job of ironing down your freezer paper but I did not. As such I got these not so great lines (see the edge on the far right - horrendous!) To correct I took Tulip Fabric Markers and drew around. I used the colors found in my tie dye so it would be less obvious. Up close you can see it but from a distance no one is the wiser!


I LOVE this thing and really hope that the recipient did, too! One thing is for sure, their house number is really going to stand out and that's kind of the point, right?!?

Thanks for reading and be sure to come and visit me at Dream a Little Bigger.



Head over to our TIE DYE YOUR SUMMER site for even more inspiration, how-to's, and fun videos to get you mega-inspired for some DIY summer fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics
Pin It button on image hover

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required
I am interested in products and inspiration for...
Close